Being transgender is illegal in Qatar and it is socially not accepted. The mainstream is that there are only two genders, male and female. Changing gender is not acceptable and transgenders are not allowed to appear as the opposite gender.
At birth, children are classified as male or female based on examination of their genitals which is not always a clear indication and they are not the only factor in determining biological sex. Elements such as chromosomes, hormones, and internal reproductive organs also play a part.
Aside from biological sex, gender is a social and cultural interpretation of what it means to be “masculine” or “feminine”. Gender identity is a person’s internal, deeply felt sense of being male or female, something in between, or neither. Gender expression is how people manifest characteristics that society has defined as masculine or feminine, through clothing, appearance, mannerisms, behavior, etc.
- Transgender women are people who were designated male at birth but who identify and may present themselves as women.
- Transgender men are people who designated female at birth but who identify and may present themselves as men.
- Gender dysphoria is a condition where a person experiences discomfort or distress because there’s a mismatch between their biological sex and gender identity. The aim of any treatment for gender dysphoria is to minimize the mismatch. For some people, it can mean changing their appearance, adopting a different name and seeking to have these changes recognized both socially and officially. Sometimes this is accompanied by hormone therapy and may culminate in sex reassignment surgery.
- Transsexuals are transgender people who have undergone surgery, or who are preparing for it or taking hormones.
- People who may be content with the sex assigned to them but whose gender expression does not conform with the usual expectations of their culture: men who are considered too feminine, women who are considered too masculine.
- Cross-dressers are people – often heterosexual – who may be comfortable with their gender identity but get pleasure from sometimes dressing in clothes associated with the opposite sex.
- Heterosexuals are people who are sexually attracted to people of the opposite sex.
- Homosexuality is a romantic attraction, sexual attraction or sexual behavior between members of the same sex or gender
- Hermaphrodites/intersex are people who have both male and female sex organs or other sexual characteristics.
Focusing on transgender’s issues, gender inequality, crossdressers, etc, these are the communication styles I have found.
3 Ideas and 3 Combos:
- Illustrative and type-based zine which communicates shock by showing flower head-dresses for all genders.
2. A color-dominant object which communicates shock by making flower head-dresses for all genders.
3. An illustrative and type-based object which communicates shock by showing cross-dressers being able to choose their preferred outfit.
4. An illustrative publication which communicates substitution by showing transgender women’s feeling being of trapped in a different body.
5. An Illustrative animation that communicates emotion by showing transgender women being rejected by their family.